Monday, May 10, 2010

The things I do because I love you


Yesterday we celebrated 12 years of marriage. Last year we went to Hawaii, this year we ran a 10K together. That is 6.2 miles of sidewalk pounding fun. We purchased a treadmill for Christmas and I was determined to put it to use. I found a race nearby and didn't even glance at the 5K option. Somehow I convinced Mike to train with me, and we set our goal: run it in under an hour. I know you die hard runners are snickering saying an hour is pathetic, but it was a just right doable goal for us. My own goal was to run the entire time. I accomplished both and I can't tell you how good that makes me feel. My time was 57:34 and Mike was so close with 1 hour 2 minutes. Yes, I left him in the dust but I think our marriage is okay. It's definitely better than if he would have come in before me (yea, I admit it, I'm slightly competitive). Today as Mike hobbles down the stairs with his sore muscles and mutters just loud enough so I can hear it "the things I do because I love you", I'm reminded of how many times he's had reason to say that in the last 12 years.
Like when I made him go on an overnight hiking trip when Gabe was 1. I carried Gabe and he
carried 50+ pounds of gear 4 or 5 miles in.
Or every time he has unclogged my vacuum after I suck up a sock or bouncy ball.
Or when I get big ideas to do a music video for my young women's group and then he ends up making it all when I can't quite figure it out
One of the best was yesterday when 3 Primary teachers called me before church saying they wouldn't be able to teach and so Mike willingly teaches all 18 kids.
I love him, he's the best and part of that is because he will continue doing so many things he'd rather not do. . . just because he loves me.

`

7 comments:

Jennie said...

Happy Anniversary! Congrats!

The Veatches said...

We need to chat!! I don't know if you have heard through the grape vine, but I have breast cancer!!!

Bonnie-Jean said...

It's great that Mike is willing to do things with/for you because he loves you! You've got a real keeper! :)
Happy Anniversary!

Beth Tunnell said...

Congratulations! And if you want to get him into another race, so that you keep training... James and I want to start up another team for Oktoberfest.

Alison said...

How cute. What a great post. Congrats on the 10K! You inspire us! Happy Anniversary!

Beckie Taylor said...

How ambitious! I am so proud of you both! Congrats on your anniversary too!

Bridget said...

Happy Anniversary! I'm so happy for you that you made your goal. How exciting!