Monday, October 6, 2008

Joy in the Journey


What a blessing to get to listen to General Conference this weekend. After 3 hours of trying to get four active boys quiet so we could hear the speakers, I finally motivated them with treats for messages. If they could sit still and listen and share one thought from a talk, they could get a treat. Oh sweet bribery! It was quite humorous to hear what they came up with. When I asked what President Monson said in his talk Andrew quoted "In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen." Well at least he heard that part. We just had a great day home all day on Sunday and then we got to feed the missionaries and Brother Rosenauer (our comedic entertainer).
President Monson repeated several times to "Find Joy in the Journey" and I feel that is a good theme to live by. My good friend, Bridget, lost her little boy, Evan, two weeks ago when he got trapped under their large "luv sac" and it was so hard to find joy for that week. I just felt so bad for her knowing how hard it would be to press on. She was due to deliver her baby any day and did so almost a week after her son's death. It is amazing to see the plan of salvation in action as one child is taken after such a short life on earth and then to have so many around me bring new life to earth (Hooray for my friend Kristi and sister-in-law Jenny!) Will we really see our loved ones again? Yes! I can't imagine a loving Heavenly Father to have it any other way. Evan's death has helped me realize how short our journey on earth here can be and I have hugged my kids a little longer, taken time to read just one more book to Andrew, and tried to "treasure the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less." (Anna Quindlen as quoted by Elder Ballard)
Andrew loves to read books which has been a special thing to do when I nurse Kimball.

4 comments:

Jennie said...

Chelsea-
I am sad to hear about your friend's son. That sounds so, so awful. I can understand why it was hard to find joy in the last couple of weeks. I can't imagine...I will be thinking of you, and of your friend Bridget.

Bridget said...

Thanks Chelsea, I'm grateful for the journey we shared with Evan this summer. I count it a huge blessing that he was old enough to show his personality and have a great time on our numerous outings. He loved the park, children's museum, playing in the yard with his brothers...and of course making messes :o). It really is about the journey.

Anonymous said...

You are so right--thank you for sharing this!

Beckie Taylor said...

Hey Chels, Thanks for posting about your friend . . . we too have a huge love sac, and I have never thought twice about the kids being near it. I will definately you more closely now. Congrats on running part of a marathon! I can't even run down the street without getting winded. I hope you are all well. Can you email me your phone number, I would love to call and catch up. beckie.taylor@gmail.com