Monday, November 2, 2009

And it came to pass. . .

The other night I began our scripture reading with "And it came to pass. . . " and an exasperated Andrew blurted out "We've already read that one!" It gave us all a good laugh.
And it came to pass that there was a mother who thought she could sew. She went to Jo-Ann's and picked out this shiny, sequiny material to make some "chainmail" for her little wanna be knight. So she began to sew and within seconds the thread bunched up underneath and she spent an hour picking it out and then retried only to find the same problem. She got mad and yelled at her machine as her sweet husband whispered in the background "It must be user error." As with most things, she was stubborn and determined to get those costumes made. She fixed the thread bunching up problem only to create and thread breaking problem. Apparently those sequins were attached with glue and the needle kept getting clogged with glue and nearly impossible to thread or sew. She pinned, and threaded, and sewed and unsewed first the chainmail and then the pirate cape (for every pirate must have a cape don't you know). For a week the sewing machine lived at the table occupying seat #7 and taunting her with "Ha, ha you don't really know how to sew." But in the end, although far from perfect, the mother came out victorious!
And it came to pass that a detective, a knight, a pirate, and Elmo went out trick or treating. And all was well at the Tonks home.

6 comments:

jamie t. said...

You make me laugh!!! I wish I could so well. I had to beg a friend to help me make the girls dresses this year.

Where are the pictures? I want to see your handy work :)

Bridget said...

Yay for the MOTHER! I'd really like Christmas to come and for you to get your fabulous new camera.

Jennie said...

Congrats on your victory! Sounds like I would have lost that battle for sure! :)

Bonnie-Jean said...

Sewing sequins are the worst.... yuck... every time I tried to make any costumes with sequins for different plays, I ran into a lot of the same problems... but I'm glad you prevailed.

Chelsea said...

Sorry I still don't have a camera! I did have a friend take a few pictures when we were at their house trick-or-treating so I hope that I can share those soon.

Amy said...

hmmmml... that sounds familiar... i thought it was just me... i have GIVEN up on haloween costumes...