Sunday, August 30, 2009

You're never to old to love your grandma!

My grandma, mom, and I at my wedding!

When I was younger I got to spend a week at my grandparents all by myself during the summer. I loved every minute of it. I would cry so hard when it was time to go home (we lived 3 hours away). Later when we moved across the highway from my grandparents, I would climb the fence across the highway over to her house. She taught me all about cooking. Her passion has always been that food can fix almost any problem. My grandma has always made me feel so happy, has always believed in me, and has been my listening ear.
My grandparents drove 4 boys and I 14 hours from Idaho to Washington this summer. Then they stayed with us for 10 days, watched the boys while I went to Girl's camp for a few days, mowed down our tall weeds, hauled wood from the forest, and cooked a lot of yummy food. I just loved having them in our home. I know how blessed I am to have such a wonderful relationship with my grandma, and to have grandparents that are still healthy and active (can you believe my grandpa can still waterski at age 82?)
reading a book to Kimball
This is not a very flattering picture, but when we were in Idaho this summer we got my grandma to go camping! This was amazing because she is not a camper, but I'm so happy my grandpa got her to come camping. Saying goodbye!

6 comments:

Bridget said...

What a wonderful grandma! I am curious if I understood correctly about the freeway, though. Did you hop a fence, run across the freeway, and then hop another fence to get to your grandmother's house? Or were you crossing at an overpass?

Jennie said...

So good to hear from you. What cool memories you have of your childhood. It looks like you have had a nice summer. I can't believe that it is time to start school again.

The Veatches said...

Holy Cow!!! You had really long hair! Now we want to see a pic of Mike from your wedding.

Anonymous said...

What a sweet tribute to your grandmother--how fun that she's still in your life even after you have children (not many people out there get to enjoy their great-grandkids!). These pictures are so precious!

Beckie Taylor said...

:) She is pretty great!

Chelsea said...

My grandpa's father owned all this land before the state decided to build a highway right through the middle of it. Now the house my grandpa grew up in (the same house I moved into when I was a Freshman) and the house my grandparents built in 1980 are separated by Hwy. 20. If you don't get caught by a police officer it is much quicker to climb the fence and cross the highway than to drive 3 miles around the overpass. So, that's what we did!