Saturday, August 23, 2008

Showing off my peaches

With a newfound appreciation for my grandma who continues to can (she's 75) everything from beets to pears, I have to show off my beautiful peaches. I thought I would "quickly" throw some peaches into a jar and have them done. This turned out to be more time consuming and I was really wishing for another set of hands. In the end, they all sealed and they look nice and I can stand proud having carried on a family tradition (at least for this year)!

4 comments:

Bridget said...

They look beautiful! I did some peach salsa with mine...it tastes pretty good, but because of the other ingredients they don't look quite as bright as your bottles. I've never done salsa before or really ever canned anything on my own until this summer. I used to help my mom do stuff. I was the washer, cherry pitter or skin peeler.

I did strawberry jam and seedless raspberry jelly last month, too. Those were really good and I think I've got my year's supply of those. We'll see though. I'm still experimenting with how much I order and make of the berries and really everything else.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do with your raspberries. Unfortunately, once they leave the bucket they no longer really hold their shape...but the flavor is really good.

jamie t. said...

I am so impressed! Do you have a peach tree. You'll have to show me someday how to do it.

Camille English said...

They look great that's one of my goals, to learn how to can.

Anonymous said...

You rock! These are SO beautiful. I have never canned peaches before--did it take forever to peel them???